Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Older Friends With Benefits



Older Friends With Benefits


M. Bradley McCauley

Short Story

©2019


There are things our adult children do not want to know. They may speculate, surmise, or guess about somethings, but they don't want to hear it from us, especially our sex life, married or single. I happen to be single, divorced, not in a romantic relationship, but enjoying sex. 

My daughter Karen had to know something was going on between Bruce and me. She stopped by early one morning when we were having breakfast.

Bruce cooks fabulous, perfectly over-easy eggs and fluffy pancakes drizzled with warm syrup, and his coffee-making skills are perfect. He brought me a cup earlier in bed. A great way to start my day. I had to warm it up later after another great way to start my day interrupted drinking it.

We were finishing breakfast when Karen came sailing through the back door, plopped her gigantic tote bag on the Island, and without looking our way, poured a cup of coffee.

"Mom. Can you pick up the kids after school?" She turned and spewed coffee. Coughing and wiping her coffee-dotted blouse, she sputtered. "I'm sorry. I didn't know you had company." She slammed down the cup, shuffled the tote to her shoulder, gave a feeble smile, and left without saying a word to Bruce, someone she's known since she was 10.

Bruce grinned that crazy lopsided smile he has. "I think she was a bit shocked to see me in boxers and a t-shirt."

I gave him a loud Tom Selleck sigh. "I guess I'll be hearing about it later."

"Can you handle it?" The grin changed to concern creeping into his now serious sea-green questioning eyes.

I nod. "I guess I should have told her about us, but there never seemed to be the right time. The kids are always around when I'm with her, and you know the old saying about little ears."

His gentle smile told me he understood.

"I mean, it's not like we're in a romantic relationship or anything." I started clearing the table.

Standing, he fondled the back of my neck, took the plates, placed them in the sink. "Young people call it 'friends with benefits." Pulling me into his arms, he asked. "What do you call it?" That serious look deepened.

I pulled away, needing time to think. I walked back to the table, picked up the serving dishes, and moved around him to the sink.

 "Why do we have to call it anything?" I turned on the faucet, started rinsing the plate. "Relationships require commitment. You and I had disastrous relationships with others after becoming single. You with Gloria, me with Todd." I realized I was slamming the dishes into the dishwasher.

"We need to talk about this later. I've got a scheduled golf tee time that I can't change." He walked towards the bedroom alcove. "It's a commitment." 

I finished the dishes, cleared the crumbs off the table, and went back to the sink. Standing behind me, he whispered, "I'll call you this evening. I hope things go okay with Karen." He ruffled my hair and left. 

I spent the rest of the morning doing usual household routines and worked on what I would tell Karen. Later, I learned it wasn't the only thing I had to tell her. A call in the afternoon from my primary care Dr. revealed I had symptoms of a serious illness. Tests were being set up.  

/////////////

Karen didn't call. She texted me a neighbor was picking up the kids and taking them to her house. I guessed she wanted to avoid talking about what happened this morning. Yep, there are just some things adult kids would rather not know. 

Bruce called twice and left messages to call him back. I didn't. I was busy on the Internet googling Lupus, auto-immune disease, symptoms, natural healing, medical procedures and joined an online support group for the disease victims. I learned it could be treated but not cured.

Except for the phone messages, I hadn't heard any more from Bruce. About ten, when I was pouring my 2d glass of wine, the doorbell rang, followed by a knock. It was Bruce.

"We need to talk." He came in, walked to the kitchen, pulled a wine glass from an overhead cabinet, and poured. Raising the bottle in a gesture to see if I wanted any, I nodded and let him top off my glass. Pointing towards the living room, he slipped his free hand on my back, guided me to the sofa, nodded for me to sit, then sat in the recliner across from me. 

"Did you talk to Karen?"

I shook my head, sipped the wine. Swallowing, I told him I had a busy day.

He looked pensive. "Monica, you know I care about you. I have since before our divorces, disastrous relationships, and all the ups and downs we both had these last ten years."

"Has it been that long since Greg and I divorced?" It was hard to believe.

"Monica, I'm not comfortable with our situation." He put the glass on a side table, stood, paced a few moments then sat next to me. "We go to dinner, come back here, make love, and have breakfast. That's it. I want more."

"More?" I think I gasped.

"I don't mean live together, at least not yet." He took the glass from me, placed it on the coffee table. Pulling me into his arms, he whispered, "I want a relationship with a commitment. I guess they say 'exclusive'. We just date each other and..." He paused. 

"And?" I was trembling, realizing how his arms held me with gentle tenderness, then tightening as I felt his desire and my sudden response.

"I want a loving, caring relationship, not just friends with benefits."

My mind stumbled over what he was saying and what I learned about Lupus. "I can't, Bruce. Not now. I'm sorry."

Releasing me, he picked up his wine glass, "Funny, I thought you felt the same way. I guess I was wrong." 

"I have feelings for you, Bruce. I do. I'm just not ready for a commitment."

"Are you seeing someone else?" Disbelief flew into his eyes. "Monica, are you sleeping with someone else?"

I was stunned. "No. How could you think that?" 

"I'm sorry, but why else do you not want a commitment?" 

He pulled me into his arms. "I'm in love with you." Looking down at me, his look softened as he smiled. "Sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen."

 I loved his smile. I loved his arms around me. I realized I loved him. "I love you too, but I need time to work a few things out before I commit to anything."

He held me for a long time. "Take however much time you need. I'm not going anywhere, except home...tonight...or, tomorrow after breakfast?" He slightly released me, the questioning look was teasing and sexy. 

I remembered reading that Lupus is not a fatal disease. With clinical help, it can remain mild. Besides, until the tests were run, I wasn't sure I had it. There was still the problem of telling Karen. The problems slipped away as his fingers slipped down my back.

"Do I get bacon with the eggs in the morning?" I murmured as his lips nuzzled my neck.

His kiss told me I could have anything I wanted, and right then, I wanted him.

The End








Comments are welcome!

My Amazon Kindle Romances

               


About 8 minutes--written and narrated by me.
© 2018 -all rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Yours are the only romance stories I enjoy, Mary! This one, in particular, reached out to me, I guess because I kind of had this same situation once in my life. So continue on writing these great short stories Mary, and as long as I'm around, I'll continue reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written. Definitely an interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete

  Prologue Mentally hearing words from an unseen source when I write fiction is not unusual. My characters develop voices of their own and s...